Friday, June 11, 2004

Twin Peaks, We Hardly Knew Ye

I miss Twin Peaks and the comely Peggy Lipton. Sigh. I once listed "Pie and Coffee with Peggy Lipton" as my idea of a dream date. Heather Graham also appeared on the program. I would eat dessert with her too, I guess. No offense to Mrs. Jones, of course. I mean, afterall, we do take all our meals together. In fact we're getting together for Pizza later. I'll try to make it romantic. Romance is sometimes limited at establishments that furnish crayons at every table, but I'll try. We'll start with a Greek salad and see where that goes. Don't get your hopes up.

But Twin Peaks was a great show for many reasons. It was a murder mystery wrapped in super-natural horror, with comic flare unequalled by Picket Fences, Northern Exposure, or any other poser. Twin Peaks was the real deal. I think the show lagged for a bit after the resolution of the Laura Palmer arc, but it was poised for great things following the finale where Agent Cooper became the host for Killer Bob. Too bad it ended when it did.

Here's my favorite line from the entire show, delivered by actor Miquel Ferrer as special agent Rosenfield:

Now you listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself on taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely pride, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.


That declaration of brotherhood between two unlikely allies was unexpected, and Ferrer's earnest delivery made it quite amusing. What might seem like a bromide here in print was actually one of the most ironic and powerful scenes in the series. But don't take my word for it, see Twin Peaks for yourself.

No comments: