Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Kitchen Genealogy - Molasses Cookies

In 1993, I got the genealogy bug. I ran with it too, spending countless hours in the North branch of the Independence, Missouri library and the National Archives outpost in Kansas City, Missouri. I poured over census records and learned how to interpret soundex file cards. I visited the Mormon LDS visitor center. It was an interesting experience and I uncovered valuable data about my family tree. I've got a lot of extended family out there. It's been very rewarding.
One source of family history I've ignored is the recipe. I don't do much cooking. But I appreciate the fact that these formulas are handed down like prized heirlooms. Without delay, I offer you my great-great-great Grandmother's recipe for molasses cookies (circa 1860):

1 cup molasses
1/2 cup sour milk
1/2 tsp baking soda, dissolved in milk
1 egg
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves sifted with flour.
3 cups of flour (you will have to use your judgment about this.
Mix right before baking. Let stand in refrigerator. This makes it possible to use less flour.)
Roll about 1/4 inch thick and bake at 350 degrees. (bake time not specified)

Louisa Glovenia Brooks was born May 14, 1832 in Conn. She married Stephen A. Broadrick, April 9, 1851. Refrigerator reference added later by my great-grandmother Anna Horrocks Youker.

No comments: