Friday, March 11, 2005

The 70s Suburbia Comedy

A few years ago I posted some thoughts about Don Coscarelli's first film Kenny and Company (KAC, 1976) at IMDB. Since then I've received several earnest emails from KAC fans asking if I have a copy of the film on tape (I don't). Coscarelli, who later wrote and directed Phantasm, was in the news yesterday when they announced another installment of the Phantasm series.

The very last line of that blurb featured news that KAC fans have been waiting for. A company named Anchor Bay will release KAC on DVD later this year. It's been 25 years since I've seen it but I remember it as a realistic, relatable comedy about kids growing up in suburbia. It featured Mike from Phantasm and the immortal Reggie Bannister too. It's a must see for Phantasm fans and for fans of the 70s suburbia genre. I don't know if that's an actual genre but I suppose it is now.

In a related story, Billy Bob Thorton appears in a remake of another 70s suburbia classic, The Bad News Bears.

No comments: