Saturday, November 10, 2007

Happy Birthday Olde Hip-Eye

I drove to Lawrence last night for Matthew Moore's 54th birthday party. He fixed up a barn in the woods north of town. It's north of the Teepee Junction in Jefferson County. Matthew Moore, AKA the Olde Hip-Eye, welcomed us with a hello in his trademark booming voice as I parked my car.

My friend Rob Loud and I arrived with some extra ice and a small gift - a photo poster of concert ticket stubs taken by Corky Carrel. There was hot curry stew, spiral cut ham and kegs of Free State beer. I saw a million stars in the sky and the milky way cut a misty swath through it all . A six piece country band complete with slide guitar and fiddle played inside the barn and Darrell Lea sat in on electric guitar for a few numbers.

I chatted with Andy Timmons and John Cutler about local music and old times at the bonfire. John mentioned that he was once in a band that opened for Green Day at the Outhouse. I reminded him about the Pedaljets gig tonight at the Record Bar. He said he was playing with The Kelihans at Kyle's Tap Room, but planned to swing by after his show. Then he busted out a brand new mandolin and played "The Girl From Ipanema". Not to be outdone, Andy Timmons, longtime Crossing bartender, and former proprietor of the Hambonery shop on Massachusetts street, reeled off a somewhat Leon Redbone-ish rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" on acoustic guitar.

We reminisced about the fact its been 20 years since the River City Reunion with William Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Marianne Faithful, Husker Du and others. A bonfire comrade remarked that Mark Kaplan was the guy who shot film and video footage for a documentary that never got made. I don't know Mark Kaplan but I'd love to see the completed project.

The next thing I knew it was 12:30 in the morning. We thanked Matthew for his hospitality and I drove back to Overland Park with Rob, where a teenage driver missed a turn and drove into the fish pond by my house. Authorities towed her car out of the wetness as I turned into the sub-division. Police strobe lights bounced off the facades of neighboring houses. What a night.

No comments: