Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Last Friday Night

Last Friday night we took the scout pack to the nursing home to sing Christmas carols. I wasn't enthusiastic at first but I was glad we went. We toured the facility and sang songs through the corridors. I got to see lots of people. Quite a few came out to watch us sing. I was impressed with some of the kids who said hello, introduced themselves, you know, took a moment for some personal contact.
One of the other dads in our group told me that one of the residents, a woman in her eighties, sprightly but confined to a wheelchair, told him that she used to fly fight planes for the marine corps during World War II. She didn't do combat flights of course, but flew Corsairs from the factory to airbases closer to the action. That's not a bad gig - and she was a gem.
I think people groan whenever you mention the true meaning or the spirit of Christmas. I know I do. So forget about it - and go visit a nursing home this holiday season. You won't regret it.

No comments: