Saturday, June 07, 2008

Mini Reunion

My college radio history captured on digital media. From left to right, former KJHK faculty advisor Sam Elliott, former KJHK station manager Stu Wright, yours truly, and former KJHK Ops Manager Craig Westhoff, as seen at Kobi's bar in Bonner Springs, Kansas on June 6th, 2008.

KU seniors Stu and Craig did a Monday night talk show called "Alternative Conversations" and they asked me, a freshman, to produce it in the spring of 1984. That meant book the guests, screen the calls, and make the promos. It was my first radio experience and I stayed involved for 10 semesters (including summers) and as a career for a few years following graduation. Sam and I worked together throughout my college days as I rose through the ranks to station manager in the Fall of 1986. I relinquished that post (gladly) at term, but remained connected with the station through the Spring of 1988.

Sam and his wife live south of Topeka in the Lake Wabaunsee area. Stu lives in Seattle, WA, and Craig and I live in the KC area, where we see each other regularly in the Monday night bowling league. This was the first time I'd seen Stu since he brought the Denver Sub-Pop label band The Fluid to Lawrence in the late 80s. He also managed Get Smart! before that.

Kobi's bar in Bonner Springs featured live music from Mid-Life Crisis, featuring former KJHK sales manager Rick Gilchrist on drums.

No comments: