Saturday, August 09, 2008

England Trip - August 9th, 1983

We covered 100 miles from York to Stamford today on the venerable tour coach. There were only five days left in the UK before I returned to Kansas. I don't have a lot of memories of Stamford. The hotel was over 200 years old and featured small archways (big enough for a carriage but not an automobile) that led into an inner garden. It was very nice. My European hotel room clock radio showed 23:00 for 11pm. I tuned in a French station. Our travels took us South again as he crept toward London.

Another memory fragment: In one of my provincial hotel rooms, I'm not exactly sure what city I was in, but I recall a certain odd television set. The audio and the video were turned on and off by separate switches. I watched a program before bed. The BBC showed a jazz concert with Kansas City native Pat Metheny. I switched off the video and listened to the sound as I drifted off.

No comments: