Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Comedy Explained

The same friend who told me about the rule, henceforth known as the wardrobe rule for double lives, once proffered this corollary about comedy: sometimes a banana is just a banana. Actually, it was John Belushi as Sigmund Freud, who originated that take on the classic cigar line back in the golden age of SNL. But seriously folks, it reminds me of a little joke, and if you don't get it I'll explain it afterwards. I explain myself, mostly to women who I've disappointed. But I digress. Okay, here's the funny. It's from National Lampoon magazine (circa 1989). Question: How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb? Answer: One woman is perfectly capable of replacing a light bulb.

But I gotta tell you, ladies and germs, these next two chicks know a joke or two without the cigars and bananas. Give it up for a couple of coastal gals with all the gadgets, Alison and Wendy, explaining jokes to each other in their spare time via their personal chat devices. Guys, get ready for some all-cap, IM comedy action! A shocking chat transcript ripped straight from the pages of the Internet, with phrases like "500 pound pussy" and "my cat is licking my arm". That's not all. Doff your comedy top hat and head over to the Smithsonian website funhouse. You'll find a gentleman there who can explain comedy, even to a link huckster like me.

No comments: