Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sorry Ladies, I'm Taken

A New York Times article by Tara Parker-Pope suggests one secret to keep a long relationship fresh is to avoid the routine date night. Go somewhere new it says. Do something different. I asked my wife where she wanted to go. "Fortune Wok," she said. We've been there before. Another secret to keeping the wife happy; let her pick the restaurant. Our first trip to the Brazilian restaurant for Elephant steaks will have to wait.

Tonight I'll order a new entree from the Fortune Wok menu. Call me crazy, but I'm forsaking my old stand-by, General Tso's Chicken and a cup of coffee, for the Moo Goo Gai Pan - without the pan (thanks Flash Bazbo). Plus a pot of hot tea for my blushing bride.

Who says you need to go to Shakey's Pizza to hear decent banjo music. I've got my good buddy right here with me. Let me spend 10 minutes tuning it and then I'll plunge into Swanee River. I'm sure the other diners will enjoy a rousing rendition of the Beverly Hillbillies theme song too.

You know who likes the banjo? My kids, that's who. I won't make them stay out in the mini-van this year. Come on in, gang. "Oh waiter, a round of Shirley Temples please, and boxes for the leftovers." Nothing says romance like food hoarding. This is the best Valentine's Day ever. Thanks New York Times.

No comments: